Appliance411 Sponsored in part by

Appliance411 home
Repair Parts : Glossary : Page 6
The Purchase
Home Service
Repair Parts
  1. What info is needed?
  2. Where to find it?
  3. Model Tag Search Popular
  4. Glossary of Terms
  5. Who makes what?
  6. OEM vs. Generic Parts
  7. Universal Parts
  8. Don't be surprised!
  9. Parts Lists
  10. Part Showcase
  11. Parts Catalog Popular
Appliance Links
Q&A Forum

Click to recommend
this site to a friend
Tell your friends about this helpful page, it's easy!
Privacy assured - Online appliance parts, FREE repair advice
    A form of oxygen(O3) usually obtained by the discharge of electricity in air.
    (Added: 12-Sep-1999 Rating: 0 Votes: 0)
    An electric switch activated by air pressure. This device detects air pressure exerted on it through a flexible tube connecting it to part of a water tub. When activated, this switch then opens an electrical circuit stopping further filling of the machine. May also be called a WATER PRESSURE SWITCH, WATER LEVEL CONTROL.
    (Added: 21-Sep-2001 Rating: 0 Votes: 0)
  • PUMP
    A machine or device for moving or compressing fluids or gases.
    (Added: 21-Sep-2001 Rating: 0 Votes: 0)
    R12 (dichlorodifluoromethane) is typically used in household refrigerators, freezers and older car air conditioners.
    R22 (monochlorodifluoromethane) is used in window air conditioners.
    R134a (tetrafluoroethane) is now used in many domestic refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers and car air conditioners.

    (Added: 12-Sep-1999 Rating: 0 Votes: 0)
    A substance used in a refrigeration system to absorb heat in the evaporator coil, by means of a change of state from liquid to a gas, and to release its heat in the condenser as the substance returns from the gaseous state back into a liquid. Also see Freon.
    (Added: 12-Sep-1999 Rating: 0 Votes: 0)
    An appliance designed to transfer heat from the interior of the cabinet to the exterior.
    (Added: 12-Sep-1999 Rating: 0 Votes: 0)
    An electro-mechanical switch that diverts the current when the flow is changed or when an external current is applied.
    (Added: 12-Sep-1999 Rating: 0 Votes: 0)
    This refers to the refrigeration cooling system. The refrigeration system consists of the evaporator (cooling) coil, condenser coil, compressor, connecting tubing and the refrigerant itself. On domestic models this system is hermetically sealed (welded shut) to avoid leakage and tampering.
    (Added: 20-Mar-2001 Rating: 0 Votes: 0)
    A silver-alloy solder containing 5-15% silver. It is used to weld copper to copper joints in refrigeration systems and able to withstand high pressures.
    (Added: 12-Sep-1999 Rating: 0 Votes: 0)
    A silver-alloy solder with 35% or higher silver content. Used to withstand high refrigerant pressures in joints made between copper and steel tubing.
    (Added: 12-Sep-1999 Rating: 0 Votes: 0)
  • SOLENOID - An electro-mechanical device that produces a magnetic field, to move an internal metallic plunger, when power is supplied. When power to the electromagnet is discontinued, the plunger is free again to move by other forces. This plunger can be attached to other devices (levers, seals, etc.) to do mechanical work. This arrangement is commonly used in water fill valves, dishwasher drain valves, range door lock mechanisms and dryer gas valves.
    (Added: 12-Sep-1999 57 Hits Rating: 0 Votes: 0)

Pages: [<< Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [Next >>]

This Page Updated On: 23-Oct-2001 - 18:36:25


Return to the Appliance411 Home Page
 Appliance411 Home 

The Purchase | Home Service | Repair Parts | Q&A Forum | Appliance Links
News | FTC Disclosure | Contact Us | Privacy
Support Appliance411 |

Copyright © Daniel O'Neill 1997-2024. All rights reserved.